Saturday, November 10, 2012

Weedling or seedling?


All I have to show for a few hours of effort in the garden today is a thoroughly soiled pair of gardening jeans, especially around the knees. Weeding, the never-ending story.

In the middle of one patch of ground, I spotted this little fella coming up. "Are you a weedling or a seedling?" I wondered.

This being the spot where I sowed Florence Fennel seeds for
this first time about 10 days ago, there was every likelihood
this was a Florence Fennel seedling. But how very helpful of
the little tacker to come up with his distinctive Florence Fennel
seed attached. Coming out with its hands up..."Don't shoot!"
At this so intensely weedy time of year there are weedlings and seedlings coming up everywhere, and with crops that I've never grown before I always have that moment of hesitation when I think "Is that you?" upon spotting growth where I have planted seeds. 



3 comments:

Helen/patientgardener said...

What a clever seedling indeed, after all you could have quite easily pulled it up. I am terrible at remembering where and what I have sowed

Lanie said...

So familiar. I pulled out a whole patch of what I thought was grass only to remember that they were carrots!

Jamie said...

Lanie, oh no!!